Sunday, February 13, 2011

Technological Experiments

            I seem to go back and forth every week between loving technology and hating it! A few weeks ago we looked at Garage Band and had to create our own podcasts. It was an interesting experience, as I had never used a program to create an audio file before. Reading other people’s blogs the following week, I noticed that someone had mentioned that Audacity was another good audio program; they had even posted the link to a download. I figured the program might come in handy at some point, so I decided to download it. Needless to say I’m glad I chose to download it, as I’ve spent the past week working on a video project.
            I conducted numerous interviews around a topic I was researching for another class, and decided it would be quite fun to organize the answers into a video presentation. While I had downloaded Audacity a few weeks before, I hadn’t yet had the chance to play around with it. I spent hours recording narratives, cutting and splicing interviews, adding background music, and wondering why some of the tracks came out with voices that sounded a lot like Alvin and the Chipmunks! It took some time, but I think I finally discovered my chipmunk problem. I found a way around it, but I’m convinced there must be a simpler way. I’m sure there were many easier ways to do things, and I’m certain I would have benefited from a short tutorial, however it was still a fun experience. There are so many tools I still do not know how to use, but it’s amazing the things I managed to figure out. In the end I created nine audio files, most of which had at least background music, a narrative, and an interview clip. I had a lot of fun playing around with the program, but I hope I’ll be a little more prepared to use it the next time a similar opportunity presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment